Hello Friends!
It has been a very long time since I have sat down to write a bit. I have been wanting to post about our dining/ craft room re-design for awhile! It is still quite practical- but also serine.
Here is the before. A mural remnant from a birthday party, sewing supplies on rolling carts- metal chairs with no character and framed art. It was not very inspiring.
Ultimately this was my vision. I really loved the shade on the walls, how every surface was covered with the color, including the shelves, door and trim. I love the unfussy, unframed artwork- and the colors of the art next to the pink. I even went so far as to plan to hang a shelf - but I couldn't in all confidence hang one knowing it could possibly fall.
I had also thought of painting another mural, but in the end the solid pink won out!
At the final hour I chose Mosaic Pink from Valspar in eggshell finish- choosing the right pink was the hardest part.
Here is the after! I found these lovely authentic vintage chairs at a thrift store for a steal- and a vintage hutch on FB Marketplace. I used the storage in the hutch to house some sewing supplies, and stashed the rest away elsewhere. Finally a place to show off my tea pot collection!
This hutch brings me so much joy! Also currently making me smile -flowers plucked from our local CSA farm as well as amazing tea and goodies from a very caring co-worker and friend.
I painted the hutch in a slightly different pink from the walls- its a bit deeper and darker (I used it on the baby's nursery furniture) and thankfully it is furniture paint! Next to the hutch I hung some vintage framed family photos that had not found a home in our house yet. The inexpensive wooden frames were painted by me green before- so I just threw on some painters tape and mixed up a fun pink- and repainted.
Unsure what to put on the next wall- I looked around and came upon a sketchbook from a really fantastic class I took from the artist Pam Garrison- and decided to just sacrifice a few pages for the wall. I also found this cool photo by my friend Ava that rounded out the little grouping.
I think that a certain amount of time has to go by before you can bear to look at your high school art again. I went to the basement and rummaged through some old canvases and found my Camille Claudel painting. She seems comfortable sitting there above my art supplies. She will always the most incredible artist to me and forever the best muse.
The rest of the room is a bit practical, computer for work, sewing machine and a pinboard that I painted the same color as the wall.
The pinboard displays art from friends, myself as well as my yearly goals and inspirations.
I do think that the room is a great improvement, and satisfies my inner five year old who really wanted a pink bedroom. I feel calm, centered and creative here now- hoping that you all can find the same!
Cheers! x










No comments:
Post a Comment